Monday Motivation: Getting Started

Woah! In preparation for today's blog post I went back to the beginning of my blog. This February I have been faithfully posting recipes, meal plans, workouts, mostly my random meanderings since February 2014. That's 5 years! How has it been this 5 whole years??

Albeit I posted more than 20 posts a month back in the beginning. Lately, I've averaged 2 a week. No matter...the reason for today's post is all about getting started. Starting your health and fitness journey.

My first piece of advice would be to discover your goal. Do you want to lose weight? Build muscle? Run 1 mile non-stop? Do you want to move without pain?

Once you have your goal, discover your favorite type of movement, whether it's yoga, lifting weights, running, or pilates...TRX training., swimming! There's no limit on doing what you love.

Next limit the junk. Reduce your added sugar intake, double up on your greens, and drink plenty of water.

Also, don't be afraid to ask for help. Find a nutritionist, a trainer, a life coach, an acupuncturist. Finding someone who works well with you and your health concerns. Don't be afraid to advocate for yourself, if you feel like your health professional isn't listening to you, find someone who understands your needs.

Sometimes making the decision to get started is the hardest. We're often comfortable with the devil we know instead of going out to slay a different dragon.

Set small goals. When I first started I simply wanted to run around my block without loosing my breath...turns out the circle I run on is about a quarter of a mile.  Not bed for a first goal. I slowly increased to half a mile, then a full mile. I wanted to lose weight so I discovered new recipes, new meal plans, anything that was going to help.

Be an adventurer.

Alright, I am turning in for an early bedtime...small possibility I caught the stomach that's going around...I'm fighting back some tummy troubles tonight.



Blessings,
A

Comments