Monday Motivation: Gratitude

I am almost out of the woods with this bronchitis. Ooof. My momma the nurse heard a little junk on my right side, in my lung. However today, I am coughing very minimally and hacking up A LOT LESS junk. Enjoyable!

I had my workout since January 12th, but my first time back to the gym since January 7th. It's been a long month, and this morning it was hard to stay positive with the gusty cold wind coming out of the north.

I can't wait to run outside again and feel the warm sun on my skin. To be able to sit outside on my back patio, listen to the birds, someone mowing the their lawn...I would be able to clean my house, move stuff around in my vehicle without the constant in out of hot to freezing between a dwelling and my vehicle.

January is such a blah month...although my January birthday month friends would probably disagree. I need to find happiness in the season of chill.

I read this blog post on Sunday called 8 things to do before 8am. It was simple stuff, but simple stuff that could help create joy in the day and help you feel like you have some sort of control over something. Whitney's blog Beauty in the Mess is geared towards moms with little kids, but I still found some great lessons in her post about the 8 Things to do Before 8 AM.

My inintial thought while reading the post, there's NO WAY i'm doing this before 8am every morning (probably because I don't have little kids) I really like the idea of doing these every day. I gave you my top 4 from her list, but check her list for the reasons why this helps her each day.

1. Start 1 load of laundry...it saves you from it piling up...although it may also result in having to wash it again if you forget about it but at least you did something to get the day going! I'm pretty bad about letting laundry sit until were out of everything...then once it's cleaned I haul it up stairs after letting it sit for 4 days, fold it away, and start again the next week...


3. Empty the dishwasher. I know I've talked about this before, but one of the best pieces of advice my mom ever gave me was "Do the 1 thing that helps you feel like you have control, or that makes everything okay."
I have 2 things. The first is grocery shopping. It just a wonderful reminder of all the yummy recipes I have planned and it's comforting to know that I am blessed that I am able to do this.
The 2nd, when the counter tops are clean. If I don't have time to load and unload the dishwasher or wash dishes, I will stack them neatly so I can see them more clearly. I like doing dishes more than I like doing laundry...probably goes back to that whole food thing.

4. Read your bible. This is great one...I think I am going to try to read one chapter a night before going to be though. I wish I had more time in the morning, but there's NO WAY I am getting up at 4am just to get this all accomplished. I must confess I don't read the bible as often as I should. I mostly regulate that to Sunday mornings, when I am in a bible study, or can't sleep at night. I often find certain chapters comfort me, while others...like the book of numbers tend to be so boring I fall asleep. Judge me as though whilt on that one. I still want to get back into this practice though at reading at least something once a day from the bible.


7. Gratitude and Stress ~ is the one that spoke volumes to me. I am going to start doing this when I log my food for the day. Create two columns on a sheet of paper, or in my case, my Fitbook.
One side list the things you are thankful for, on the other list the things that are currently stressing you out.
this morning, after I woke up to let the old lady (my dog, not an actual old lady) to go to the bathroom at 3am, I started to make this list in my head. What I noticed though, was that I started with the negative list...wouldn't you know it, I found it harder to sleep for another hour. I am going to challenge myself to write the things I am thankful for FIRST, then the things that stress me out. It's possible that 2nd column won't sound nearly as bad, once I gain some perspective on what I'm grateful for.



Alright friends, thank you for stopping by. I hope you find ways to make your day just a little easier on yourself as well.
Be well and say thank you!
Blessings,
A

Comments