PANCAKE TUESDAY!

Can I get a giant hallelujah for pancake Tuesday? If you don't know what pancake Tuesday is, you're not alone. Apparently it's not a common American practice. Pancake Tuesday is the 7th Tuesday before Easter, which is also the day before Ash Wednesday.

The expression "Shrove Tuesday" comes from the word shrive, which means to absolve. Shrove Tuesday is observed mostly by Lutherans, Methodists, and Roman Catholics. Growing up Presbyterian we also celebrate Shrove Tuesday by gathering together at church for a pancake feed.
The time that follows Shrove Tuesday is roughly 6 weeks of Lent. Lent is a special time for Christians where we make a special point of self-examination, repent, and make amendments of life or focus on areas of spiritual growth.
What I did not realize is that Mardi Gras is French for "Fat Tuesday". Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras refers to the last night of eating richer, fatty foods, before the ritual of fasting which begins on Ash Wednesday.

Historically speaking, Fat Tuesday dates back to the 16th century. Pancakes are associated with this day because they are a way to use up rich foods such as eggs, milk, and sugar before the 40 days of lent begins. I remember hearing as a kid that Fat Tuesday was also a way of eating up all the meat and dairy products that would go bad before Lent was over otherwise known as bacon and pancakes. The thinking  was that these food products needed to be used before the warmer months approached. Meaning dairy and meat wouldn't store as well. According to Refinery29 the occasion of Fat Tuesday became one big celebration sometimes known as Carnival, which is derived from the Latin phrase meaning "to remove meat." The first known celebration of Mardi Gras in the United States took place in 1703 in Fort Louis de la Louisiane (now known as Mobile, Alabama) and the holiday soon spread to other French settlements, including New Orleans.

I choose to personally observe Pancake Tuesday because I celebrated it as kid. It's a fun reminder of the coming together of family and a time of spiritual growth.

I choose to observe Lent because...well...here's where I get real with you. Call it Therapy Tuesday. A few years ago, I chose to give up the anger that I was harboring against the person who molested me. The anger I carried from that time in my life was holding me back from living my life. During those 40 days I was able to let go of the resent and heartbreak that came during that season of my life.
I also believe on a spiritual level that Easter is one of the most pivotal moments of our Christian faith. God loved us so much he sacrificed his son. His son loved us and his father so much he obeyed. It took me until my mid 20's to realize the love that Christ had for me. It wasn't until then that I understood what unconditional love was. I wish I could explain it better, but it was the same time of year, close to Easter where I finally understood the depths of love that Jesus has for me. I wish everyone could understand this kind of love.
It does shame me to say that I have not always given this same love to others. However, I find it easier to recognize where true love exists because of God's love. I reserve the right to do better.

Well...anyway... onto tonight's other topics.

This year, with my focus being back on my physical self and not my mental or spiritual health I am giving up BOOZE! Ah! It started in 2017, I began drinking more than I used too. Not a lot, but once in a blue moon turned into every month, which eventually turned into every weekend.
Alcohol is full of empty calories. Useless (okay, maybe not entirely useless) empty calories. I believe it would help me to not only lose weight but it will help me begin to enjoy it again.
That thought process of giving something up for lent is to refocus back on Jesus. We spend so much time during the year chasing things that satisfy and please us short term that we often lose sight of what matters.
For me, a good glass of wine comes on a warm summer day, after a long run and a shower. I want that feeling back of sipping and savoring and knowing that two glasses are enough. I've begun to drink, just to drink. I love food and I love wine, but I want to look forward to a glass of wine again like I do my food.

Starting tomorrow night...actually technically, lol....if you include from the last time I drank (which was Saturday night) I might end up doing longer than 40 days. 😄

Lastly, I am celebrating Pancake Tuesday with a brand new recipe! I am so excited about this cookbook!

I mean...who doesn't take a selfie with a cook book?

In Danielle Walker's first cookbook, Against all Grain, she has a pancake mix can be used plan or with fun extras! See below

Pancake Mix:
3 cups blanched almond flour
1 cup coconut flour
2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt

Liquid base:
You will use 2 cups of the above pancake mix plus 3 eggs, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1 tbs honey or maple syrup, 3 teaspoons coconut oil, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 

Extras: chocolate chips, blueberries, nuts, bananas, strawberries, cinnamon. Mix to your hearts content. 

Using the above ingredients, follow Danielle Walkers directions on this Youtube video on how to mix and cook the perfect Grain-Free Fluffy pancakes. 



Thank you again for stopping by Friends! If I don't post tomorrow I will be back on Thursday with a meal plan.
Blessings, 
A

P.s. Do you celebrate Lent or Pancake Tuesday and why or why not?

Comments

Unknown said…
I don't always celebrate Mardi Gras. It wasn't a big thing while I was growing up (Methodist/Lutheran). I mean, Ash Wednesday and Lent were. As an adult, I've been around a larger variery of folks, including some good friends from Louisiana, who go the whole 9 yrds with a crawfish boil and king cake. And since everyone was posting about pancakes yesterday I decided to make some (also, we had to do meal prep forbreakfast sandwiches so it was a good reason to break out the griddle. I'm not avoiding grains, so mine are an Alton Brown whole wheat recipe. And I put bacon in mine.
Unknown said…
Since you asked...I had never heard of pancake Tuesday, but would love to celebrate it in the future. I have tried to do something for Lent off and on, I'm not very good at it, but this year instead of giving up, I'm going to read the bible.
Also, I love your selfie and that you are wearing a Shrine shirt. :)
agoerunnergirl said…
Jo those sound amazing!!! Bacon!!!