Beet Bread

I tried a new recipe about two weeks ago for breakfast from the Run Fast, Cook Fast, Eat Slow cookbook (Click the link to get your copy!). 


I've been interested in incorporating beets into my diet as I've heard from, what seems like, everywhere that beets are a natural energy source. There are a plethora of articles and journal studies done on the endurance affects that beets have on the body.  More specifically according to a runners world article, published just last year, that Beet Juice Shots before a Race Might Help You Land a PR (Ashley Mateo). Further research has shown that beets are also good for eye health from a good source of lutein, an antioxidant that helps protect the eyes from age related macular degeneration and cataracts. They also help in lowering blood pressure due to being high in nitrates, which may also help with brain health! It may help stimulate liver function, may prevent skin, lung, and colon cancer; lastly may boost immune system.

Between the overall health benefits and improved athletic performance, I wanted to try and add beets into my diet. Generally I think beets taste like dirt, and I was never a fan before the beet me smoothie. After drinking up the Run Fast, Cook Fast, East Slow Can't Beat Me Smoothie, I was hooked and wanted to know more ways to make beets more palatable.

Enter...beet bread. Okay, in the book...their muffins...but I was lazy and didn't have any muffin cup liners.

Ingredients:
2 c almond meal
1 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
2 tps ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup grated, raw beet, peeled (about 1 beet)
3 eggs (For a vegan recipe sub 3 tablespoons ground flax-seed combined with 1/2 cup water, let it sit for about 5 minutes.) 
1/2 cup black-strap molasses (I believe I used honey as a substitute.)
6 tbsp butter (I use earth balance, soy/dairy/gluten free. For a vegan recipe you can still use earth balance as well as sub 1/4 cup melted coconut oil)
1 cup frozen blueberries

Mix & Bake:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Either line your muffin pan or spray your 8 x 8 baking sheet if your lazy like me.
2. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.
3. Peel and cut your beet. I put mine in a ninja blender then added in the eggs, honey, and melted butter.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry and ingredients, mix well, fold in the blueberries.


5. Spoon batter into muffin cups or dump the combined ingredients into your greased bread pan.  Put in the oven and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the top(s) are browned. You can also check by sticking a knife into the middle of the bread, if it pulls out of the bread clean then they are done.

Pro tip from Elyse and Shalane: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.


Alright friends, until tomorrow!
Blessings,
A

Comments