Emotional Eating

I didn't get my 4 miles in yesterday but I did get some gnarly housework and yard work done for about 2 hours...so I feel like it equals out.

I had a few cheats yesterday, but last night I think I felt pretty victorious after all I had consumed yesterday. We had a late lunch/early dinner, which consisted of 2 low carb burgers for me, plus a few baby carrots, strawberries, and then possibly...I had some things that were horrible for my PCOS...but I made sure to stick to serving sizes and portion control my sugar intake. I did get to be about 9:30pm last night and I still needed something...anything to eat. I weighed through my options...probably about 3 or 4 times before I settled on a seasoned fried egg with salsa and a sliver of the pepper jack cheese. Just a sliver.

It totally hit the spot. It was so delicious I didn't even finish my wine, my 1 glass for the week. I was worried about consuming to much sugar yesterday so I made the decision to put the wine back.

I'm not going to lie, I was impressed with myself! Haha! I put the wine back in the bottle (I know to some of my friends this is a sin, "you're suppose to drink the wine!") and at one point I had started another burger but put it in the fridge for later.

You can be portion minded and not wasteful. You can put to much on your plate, but when you recognize you've had to much you can also put the food away for later. You don't have to dump it, and then feel guilty for being wasteful.
It's a trap a lot of us fall into. My parents also told me I had to finish what was on my plate too, or no dessert. NO DESSERT!
We feel like we have to consume so much that our brains don't register we should stop.
We have to eat a lot of food before we eat the sugar.

You don't have to fall for this trick.
The key is to eat slowly and drink water with your food. If you reach the point where you think you might have had to much, ask for a to go bag & eat it later, or have it wrapped and stuck in the fridge.
Now, you can save it for later! Don't be fooled into over eating. Take time this week and think about how you trick yourself into eating way more than you should. What lies do you tell yourself that allow you to over eat?

Self disclosure? When I was a teenager and even newly married, I would eat to the point of being sick. I wouldn't ever actually physically get sick but I felt horrible. I know now half of that was because of what I was eating but the other half? I did because I was an emotional eater. Last year I started rewarding myself with things other than food.

When the hubby & I go to Cracker Barrel we always go through the store after dinner. Right after I started my diet instead of getting a candy bar, like I usually would I bought myself an angel. It was my first non-food reward. Controlling your emotions or learning to better understand will help you from making food-based "mistakes". You know how you get stressed, eat half a package of gluten free Joe-Joe's, and then just hate on yourself the rest of the day? (Maybe...you don't eat gluten free joe-joe's...but I bet you know the feeling of self hate afterward.)

It is possible to break away from this being a knee-jerk reaction when stressed. It takes time, and control, but learning your emotions is key to understanding how to avoid these situations.


How can you reward yourself for making healthy choices? Check out Attitude Revolution for tips on overcoming emotional eating.



Alright everyone, I am off to work. Have a great Tuesday!




Blessings,
A

Comments