Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Protein Muffins

Didn't quite make it behind a keyboard yesterday but I'm back today! I've had to modify quite a bit of my training schedule based on how busy we've been here at the Goe house. I won't be able to quite do what I have been intending to do for these next few events I have scheduled but the important thing is that they all go to a good cause.

Memorial Day Murph for the LT. Michael P. Murphy Memorial Scholarship Foundation
The Chokecherry Jamboree out at the Farm will support a local fundraiser for a little girl.
And while Ironwoman and I are both out of commission for the Warrior Dash, it still goes to a good cause. St. Jude's Hospital.

So the money isn't wasted but still bummed we won't get to do it. 

Anyway, onto today's post which is a continuation of Sunday's post...Baking for PCOS.

First Here is this awesome recipe I developed and inspired by Paleo Pumpkin Muffins from Empowered Sustenance
By clicking the orange link you can see the original recipe, but here's how I made it into a protein filled snack.

  • 1/2 cup protein powder of your choice (Although if you have PCOS I recommend using a complete egg white protein or using a vegan protein to avoid the dairy. 
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/4 cup palm shortening
  • 6 Tbs. pumpkin purée
  • 2 Tbs. coconut palm sugar + 1 tbs stevia leaf sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon 
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 cup enjoy life chocolate chips
Set oven to 350 degrees. Using coconut spread, grease muffin pan. Set aside
Then grab two different bowls. Combine dry ingredients in one bowl (Protein Powder, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, ginger, and baking soda) Stir with fork to combine.

In another bowl combine the eggs and coconut palm sugar and stevia leaf sugar. Using a hand mixer or regular mixer combine ingredients until creamy, may be a bit lumpy from the palm shortening. Then add pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, and apple cider vinegar.

Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, using a rubber scraper or wooden spoon, scrap the edges of the bowl to fold in the dry ingredients. Then using the handheld mixer, or stand up mixer combine ingredients until everything has been combined. 

I used a medium size scoop from pampered chef, but you can also use anything you like to put dough in the muffin tin. Makes about 12 muffins, depending on size you like. Bake for 20 minutes, check, make sure muffin top bounces back or is by using the knife method. Or toothpick method. Where you stick it in the muffin and if comes back clean it's dough.





They have a bit of a chewy consistency, probably having to do with the type of protein powder I used but overall, really good. The chocolate chips probably help ;)
Nutritional Info: Calories 139, Fat 9.6grams, 9.8 grams, Carbs 5.7 grams

I love sweets. I probably have the biggest sweet tooth ever...I would eat cookies all day long if I could. Anything baked good is typically on my brain at any given point in the day. However when battling PCOS, it's important to remember that while 1 cookie won't hurt it's an even better idea to make sure I know what goes into the cookie, or muffin, or pancake...

Choose ingredients that are low on the glycemic index. The more protein, the better. It helps stabilize blood sugars and keeps you fuller, longer. Avoid heavily processed stuff such as white sugar, white floor. Those shoot the blood sugars up way to high, which causes symptoms of PCOS to go crazy! Always pair a carb with a protein, it helps minimize the impact on your blood sugar levels. I guess I'm speaking to those of us who deal specifically with Insulin Resistance.
Check out pinterest for more idea's on PCOS treats. Head over to With Great Expectation where Logan posts tons of recipes! Anything Paleo (minus the dairy) will be great as well, since it uses whole food.
Choose baking flowers that are LOW GI like coconut flour (low carb and low fat--but healthy fat.)
It can be a hassle to try and find the right combination but two years into doing this diet, I know I feel much better when I follow it.

Alright everyone, I need to start getting ready for work.
Blessings!
A

Comments