Top 5 Tips for Mood Swings and PCOS

After talking with a new friend last night, I started thinking about how much women, who have PCOS, might have mood swings.

If you ask my husband I used to have horrid mood swings. Now, he might still say the same thing, but he's also a boy and doesn't understand how girls operate.


The truth is though that sometimes when you have PCOS you have a mood disorder of some kind. Whether it's anxiety, probably due to the fact that we suddenly don't have as much control as we want too, and depression, especially if you are trying to become pregnant and it seems impossible. I found a great article over at the National Library of Medicine (online) that talks about the percentage of women with depressive disorder combined with PCOS is between 14-67%.

Awesome. So now that we're armed with these numbers what do we do about it?

Well, I am going to give you my top 5 tips for handling your moods and then give you some research based opinions as well.

1. Know your limits. Don't push yourself to the max. As women we like to just give and give and give. But if you put yourself first, you'll be able to give more of yourself to those you love. Know when a situation is becoming to much to handle. Leave the room, take a walk. Know when you've had enough. Take 5 deep breaths. Name 5 positive things. Whatever you have to do when you feel yourself becoming overly anxious or angry.
If you have to cry, cry. Don't hold it in. Go sit in a closet and just put your head in your hands and cry.
When we push ourselves too far, not only are we not respecting ourselves we are letting others have a say in our lives. We can't take care of anyone around us when we go beyond the measures of your capacities. 

2. Identify the emotion. I don't know about you but I feel much better when I can ask myself 'Why am I feeling this way? Whatever feeling has crept it's ugly black head into the center of my chest or gut, if I can identify it then know how to handle it.
So much of PCOS is feeling like we have no control. Take control back by paying attention to your emotions.

3. Sleep! Sleep is so important. I've talked about it on here a few times! Mainly, Why it's so important, Here's a Harvard web post that talks about the link between sleep and mood disorders.

"The University of Pennsylvania researchers found that subjects who limited to only 4.5 hours of sleep a night for one week reported feeling more stressed, angry, sad, and mentally exhausted."

How many hours of sleep are you getting? Is it enough? The sleep foundation says that we should get anywhere between 7 to 9 hours of sleep a night. 

Turn going to bed on time into a routine. I have a general routine that helps my body signal my brain that it's down time. I try to watch a light hearted show before bed. When the show is over, I let the dog out, brush my teeth, wash my face, I will make a cup of hot tea. I usually start drinking it while watching T.V., but if not I'll make sure to take a few sips before bed. 
Let the dog in. Change into pajamas. Make sure I have my medicine & vitamins ready on my night stand for the next day. 
It's simple little things that will get your brain and your body into a good habit. Here's another article on setting up your own routine

4. Take your vitamins and cut out the processed food as much as possible. I started taking inositol again. When I first started taking it, I remember telling my therapist that I felt calmer on it. Which is weird, or rather it was to me anyway. It's an over the counter vitamin that is being researched for as an antidepressant for bipolar depression. It's also a very important vitamin for those women who suffer from insulin sensitivity related PCOS. 
I am in no way telling you that you HAVE to take this. First and foremost you should ALWAYS talk to your doctor! I can only tell you what has worked for me. 
Mine is not prescribed, I take the general recommendation of 600 mg. It's a 1/4 a teaspoon of powder. 

Don't forget your Vitamin D!!! "Vitamin D deficiency has been linked with higher incidences of mood disorders like premenstrual syndrome, seasonal affective disorder, and depression."

Reducing my sugar and cutting my gluten also helped my mood dramatically. I felt less sick, which in turn helped me feel better. I felt less jittery. Less anxious. Again, I can only tell you what helped me. Cutting my dairy, cut my acne breakouts, which in turn, also helped me feel more confident. Eating more consistently throughout the day normalizes my blood sugar levels which keep them from spiking and dropping. Keeps me from becoming HANGRY!

Finally...#5

Seeing a therapist. I started seeing a therapist two years ago (off and on). I won't get into specifics, but it is a good place for me to go and vent to a third party. I am less draining on my friends and family, I feel, as well as my therapist gives me excellent tools for turning my negatives into positives. It's called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It changes my way of thinking based off of past experiences. It centers on my specific issues and then helps me find an action to help with whatever I may be dealing with at the time.

Check out more article related specifically related to mood and PCOS over at PCOS Diet Support. Also here is another great article:: Top 21 Anxiety Grounding Techniques. I came across it in today's research for PCOS and Mood...great ideas for when you're feeling anxious. 

Blessings Everyone, Hope you are all having a great Wednesday!
A

Comments