Honoring Grandpa:: Holiday Baking and a Timeless Tradition

I wish I could tell you that I have every single last thing put together for Christmas, but as it's been a few difficult weeks trying to get used to the new normal, therefore, I most certainly do not have anything put together...food wise.

But I feel as if you understand and that you're not judging me. I thank you for that.

I apologize that I have not been posting as regularly as I usually do. I can't commit to posting regularly yet, but in the new year I will be back with more dedication!

In the New Year I plan to start another Whole 30 on January 2nd, but a REAL whole 30 this time! Not my 2 week paleo 'reset'.

But back to December....



Every Christmas morning my dad wakes up...semi-early...to make homemade blueberry pancakes. It's his way of honoring his late father, my grandfather in the biggest way. He remembers him in small ways throughout the year too, such as quoting grandpa after finishing a bottle of wine, 'there's always one last drop.' or how you should always have wine with cheese and nuts!



I have many young memories of my granddad, his smile, how he let me maraschino cherries straight out of the jar, visiting in Colorado. I still remember his voice sometimes too....my mom still talks about how good he was to my mom and dad. How supportive he was.


My dad has carried on this tradition since I can remember. Being grown now, with a new extended family I haven't always gotten to be there every Christmas morning, but when I do, blueberry pancakes on Christmas morning is the best way to spend time with family and to honor my grandpa. Since I am strictly gluten free, and love Paleo foods, I have found a few recipes I might try out this Christmas. (Pictures are from websites of original recipe makers)

Paleo Blueberry Lemon Bread


3 ingredient blueberry pancakes

Grain Free Coconut Flour Pancakes I will be swapping out the milk for almond though


And if you want extra blueberryness, you can create this recipe from empowered sustenance a No Sugar Added Blueberry Sauce


As far as the rest of the day goes, I was hoping to melt chocolate, then pour it over some almonds.

My dad HATED my gingersnap cookies last year. I am determined to rectify that situation! Here's the recipe I will be going with a recipe from A Whole New Twist  this year.


And lastly, possibly something with pumpkin...
From Big Mans World:: Healthy 3 Ingredient Pumpkin Fudge



And for fun-ies, I looked up what I did last year...hopefully I learn better lessons from my failures in the paleo treat baking department! LOL
Baking Roundup
Paleo Baking Plan
Post Holiday Carnage

Thank you for still being here readers. I love seeing the counter way above zero. No promises of when I'll be back...but I'll try to get you updated on what it is that I DID make for Christmas.
Blessings,
A

Comments